Destination Weddings: Seven Reasons Why Penticton BC is Your Best Wedding Destination
Villa Orion is fabulously located in one of the last ancient peach orchards – on Naramata Bench, the low populated east cliff bank – inside Penticton.
The fabulous LOCATION of villa Orion
Can you image – living on our 4 ½ acre property at the edge of the clay cliffs – the tranquility, the exclusivity and the elegance of your retreat?
Location Villa Orion on Google Maps
Explore on Google Maps the stunning location of Villa Orion (= Orion Consultings Ltd.= the owner).
History of Penticton
The name “Penticton” is from the Interior Salish word snpintktn: commonly translated as “a place where people live year-round.” For over 7,000 years, Penticton has been home to the Syilx First Peoples, who helped the first European fur traders travel through the Okanagan in the early 1800s.
In 1865 a young Irish immigrant Thomas Ellis – the first European – settled in Penticton. Penticton had been born after selling his properties at the foot of Okanagan Lake in 1892 to developers.
Due to the difficulties of land travel early transportation was primarily by water from Vernon to Penticton. Steamships like the S.S. Sicamous – from July 1st, 1914 – were used.
In 1910 Penticton became the headquarters for the new Kettle Valley Railway. This rail line – finally linked the transportation of the coast to the wealth of the Kootenays – brought wealth.
The 1950s and 1960s were busy decades of construction and large infrastructure projects: channelization of the Okanagan River, the new city hall, the community arts building and Penticton’s first shopping center. March 1955 Penticton Vees hockey team brought home the World Cup defeating the Soviet Union 5-0!!
The local wine industry is rapidly turning Penticton into a top destination for wine tourism. The city now has a population of approximately 33,000. It is still the perfect place for an family vacation, where parents and children together can relax on the beach, in the ski resorts, on the golf courses and the fantastic four-season festivals. It is still a place of breath-taking scenery, beautiful weather and an abundance of outdoor activities.
Penticton BC is your Best Destination for Your Wedding
1. Here you find one of the Best Beaches in West Canada.
Penticton has seven beaches: already at a 7 minutes’ walk from villa Orion you can sunbathe, swim, fish, wakeboard, waterski, (para)sail, jet ski, canoe & kayak. Enjoy the average 2000+ hours of sunshine per year higher than on the beaches in Rio de Janeiro and Hawaii. You can also lazily tubing down the Okanagan River Channel from one lake to another with a cooler chock full of refreshments to keep you satiated on a hot summer’s day. For just $10 dollars you can rent a tube and get a ride back with Coyote Cruises.
2. Here you find your 38 GOLF courses.
You are in the heart of the Okanagan’s golf paradise. From villa Orion a 10 till 90 minutes’ drive. Choose your own golf arena cradled within tree trimmed mountain slopes or dramatic clay cliffs or a semi desert or bordered by the Okanagan Lakes. We have a long golf season and a great golf climate. The Penticton Golf & Country Club – for example – boasts 18 lush holes complete with a putting green, equipment rentals, full service pro shop and a clubhouse with licensed dining room and lounge. When mini golf is more the little ones’ pace, go to Okanagan Amusements near Skaha Lake enjoying mini golf, go karts, bumper boats, batting cages and an arcade.
3. Here you can attend grandiose Festivals in Every Season. A ten minutes’ drive from villa Orion. Whether it’s hosting a world-class triathlon competition or a funky arts festival or simply commemorating the annual harvest, locals warmly welcome visitors to share in the festivities.
4. Here you find the Best Canadian Wineries and Wines. From villa Orion a two minutes till 90 minutes’ drive to attend the tasting rooms of the 140 wineries.
Okanagan Valley is the king of BC wines. Taste the new cuisine at the wineries’ restaurant. And don’t forget the blossoms and fruit abundance between April and October in the orchards: cherries, peaches, prunes, berries, apples, pears, nectarines, grapes and walnuts.
5. Here you find your Outdoor Arena: hunting, fishing, golf, tennis, flying, triathlon, (dust) biking, horseback riding/packing, paragliding, heli-skiing, gold panning, rock climbing, wakeboarding, waterskiing, parasailing, jet skiing, canoeing and kayaking, mountain biking, rafting, hiking and climbing. Skaha Bluffs Provincia Park is one of the top five climbing destinations in North America and draws climbers from all over the world. Besides rock climbing, the bluffs are known for their network of walking and hiking trails that weave amongst the climbing walls and provide stunning Penticton vistas. Its mineralogical abundance with the oldest rocks in British Columbia. Metamorphic rocks in Okanagan Mountain Park are dated 2 billion years old. And its erosions transformed our landscape here in breath taking panoramas:
6. Here you find your 4 SKI resorts & 3 SKI areas. From villa Orion it is thirty four minutes’ drive – 40 kilometers – to the Apex Alpine Mountains.
Big White Ski Resort is a 1 ½ hour drive (56km/35 miles). Silver Star Mountain Resort is a 2 1/4 hour drive. Sun Peaks Resort is a 3 ½ hour drive from Villa Orion Penticton. Mount Baldy is a 1 hour drive. Crystal Mountain Ski Resort is 70 minutes. Penticton has a semi-arid climate (Köppen BSk) with hot, dry, sunny summers and cold, cloudy winters.
7. Here you find the stunning Kettle Valley Railroad Trail in breath taking landscapes.
From Villa Orion you can cycle and hike in this historical treasure – the trail is below our property – through its breath taking landscapes, tunnels and trestles towards Naramata’s wineries & Kelowna. You can try the Kettle Valley Railway Trail – learn the history of this storied decommissioned railway as you take in miraculous views of Okanagan Lake, Skaha Lake and wine country. There are several parks and great look-out points in and around Penticton that are ideal for picnics and barbeques, so be sure to pack a lunch.